Thursday 24 January 2013

Melted My Heart

Anyone that knows me knows I absolutely adore kids. They just make everything better. They make you slow down, and realize that there are way more important things to worry about, especially when these kids are in an orphanage. I'm continually astounded by the extraordinary people in the world. Here in Kiev there is a family, mom, dad and daughter, who take in children from various orphanages and raise them until they are 18. They just got 5 new, what we would call foster kids, and there are a few other children who have been there for 5+ years. These kids love their 'mama' and I'm amazed and these people and their willingness to help these orphaned children, out of love and no other motive. They get no money, they get no compensation from the government. The family lives in an apartment building where they have had 2 apartments converted into one so they can house more children. The children are Valera who is 5, Maxim who is 6, Alona who is 7, Lusha who is 10, Artoom who is 11, Alina who is 13, and Dasha who is 15. Valera, Maxim, and Alona absolutely love the attention and hang off of you every chance they get! It is so sweet, and I am beyond excited to go back every week and play with these children and help teach them English. 


Alona! Most energetic little diva in the world.


'Mama'

Valera and Maxim :) 

The hospital this week was an adventure! The equipment they use surprises me to no end. It is all at least 20 years old and doesn't work 3/4 of the time making it nearly impossible for the students to do research or for tests to be carried out. They only have an x-ray machine 2 days a week, so if you come in on a Friday, you're out of luck until Monday! The doctor I am shadowing was showing me how their electromyogram worked and then let me test it out. She is such an amazing person to work with and is so willing to teach, show, and get me involved with everything that she can. A pharmaceutical rep was at the hospital today. Apparently he thought he was quite the charmer kissing my hand and telling me he was going to call me at 3am... like that's going to happen! These guys just think they can charm you into loving them... where I come from he just comes off as creepy plain and simply haha! 


Room for starting IV's and giving intramuscular injections 

ENT doctor who is available only once a week and sets up right in the middle of the hall

Ice Age equipment!

Electromyogram.. I'm healthy! 


One night this week Nonika, Kyla and I went out for dinner to a Ukrainian restaurant. As we were leaving the waiter, who spoke a little bit of English, says to us, "are you coming back tomorrow?". We kind of looked at each other and Nonika asked if he was working. He said yes and so we promised to go back! But we didn't... hope we didn't break his heart too much! Then we went to institute where we got to meet some other girls who are here in Kiev. It was a great way to end our day, and we got free pizza, what could be better! 

Traditional Ukranian Holubtzi


Loved being at the orphanage with these fun girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment